Cell phones are involved in every aspect of our lives nowadays: we use them as phones, GPS devices, portable computers, and more. Whether you realize it or not, your phone has sensitive information stored on it. Smart phones store all of our usernames and passwords. They have direct access to our bank accounts. They have email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers and pictures of our families and friends.
While we all love getting new devices, it’s important to remember that there is a proper way to dispose of the old devices we no longer use. Having used mobile devices shredded is the only 100% guaranteed way to wipe the stored memory from that device.
Just in case you need convincing, here are 5 reasons to shred your old devices:
- Restoring your phone to factory settings doesn’t always work. Research was conducted by a team at Cambridge University and their research study found that 80% of the time authentication tokens, which are essentially an electronic key to access confidential accounts and information, were able to be recovered from the devices that had been restored to factory settings. So 80% of the time they were able to access the confidential information of the previous owner that had been “wiped clean” from the phone.
- The SIM card is not the only part of the phone that stores information. If you remove the SIM card from your device, that does not remove all the stored information within your phone. Just like the phones in the Cambridge research study, all devices have internal components that store information — whether they have a SIM card or not. Removing the SIM card will remove the information stored on the SIM card, but not the information that is stored in your device internally.
- Destroying it is not enough. You can run any device over with a car or crush it with a hammer, and that STILL doesn’t guarantee that all the right memory chips and internal components that store information have been correctly and totally destroyed. The only guaranteed way to wipe information from a phone is by having a professional shred it.
- A little information goes a long way. As technology evolves and gets smarter, so do the thieves and hackers. Oftentimes, all they need is one tiny piece of information in order to unlock the door that leads to much more crucial information.
- Your whole life is on your phone. From emails to bank accounts to photos of loved ones — every little detail about you is stored on your phone. That is reason enough to want to make sure the information on your phone is destroyed properly, by a professional, to ensure it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.
If the information on your personal device is recovered and stolen it could create numerous problems for you, including identity theft and fraudulent bank account activity. We take precautions with other sensitive information – for example, we don’t just throw away papers with our social security numbers and bank account information – so why aren’t we more cautious with that same information in digital format?
Do your research and you’ll find that data destruction and e-waste recycling are the only safe ways to dispose of your devices. When you’re ready for an expert to take those old devices off your hands and destroy them safely, give us a call at 936-788-4733 or visit our website to get a free quote.