These days, cell phones are involved in every aspect of our lives: we use them as phones, GPS devices, portable computers, and more. Whether you realize it or not, your phone has sensitive information stored on it. Smart phones store all of our usernames and passwords. They have direct access to our bank accounts. They have email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers and pictures of our families and friends.
We all love the convenience of technology, but few realize the importance of properly disposing of your old smart phone when you upgrade to a new device. Having your mobile device shredded is the only 100% guaranteed way to wipe the memory on your device.
Just in case you need convincing, here are 5 reasons to shred your old devices:
- Restoring your phone to factory settings doesn’t always work. The stores and cell phone carriers will always recommend this option, and sure it doesn’t hurt, but it doesn’t always work either. A team at Cambridge University conducted a research study and found that 80% of the time, they were able to recover authentication tokens, which are essentially an electronic key to access confidential accounts and information. So 80% of the time, they were able to restore the phone from factory settings and access confidential information of the previous owner.
- The SIM card is not the only part of the phone that stores information. If you remove the SIM card from your device, that does not remove all the stored information within your phone. Just like the phones in the Cambridge research study, all devices have internal components that store information — whether they have a SIM card or not. Removing the SIM card will remove the information stored on the SIM card, but not the information that is stored in your device internally.
- Destroying it is not enough. So you take a hammer to your phone … that should do the trick, right? Guess again. Just because the phone looks destroyed does not mean that all the right memory chips and internal components that store information have been correctly and totally destroyed. The only guaranteed way to wipe information from a phone is by having a professional shred it.
- A little information goes a long way. As technology evolves and gets smarter, so do the thieves and hackers. Oftentimes, all they need is one tiny piece of information in order to unlock the door that leads to much more crucial information.
- Your whole life is on your phone. From emails to bank accounts to photos of loved ones — every little detail about you is stored on your phone. That is reason enough to want to make sure the information on your phone is destroyed properly, by a professional, to ensure it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.
When dealing with information that is this confidential, you want to make 100% sure you have it completely erased. Do your research and you’ll find that data destruction and e-waste recycling are the only safe ways to dispose of your devices. When you’re ready for an expert to take those old devices off your hands and destroy them safely, give us a call at 936-788-4733 or visit our website to get a free quote.